Re: Will 100 Mbps be enough?

100 Mbps internet speed is good for your needs, especially since you're the only user. It can work very well with 3-5 devices. However, if you ever happen to have multiple users, you may experience slower speeds if you all want to stream or play online games. So, for now, you're good because 100 Mbps is suitable for streaming 4K content. Also, to some people, 100 Mbps is more than enough.

I think it's pretty deceiving how some ISPs market which speeds are appropriate for which types of customers. In reality, even a household of 50 devices is going to be okay with 100Mbps as long as the upload speeds aren't limited to 5 or 10Mbps, and as long as everyone isn't streaming video at the exact same time.

4K video steaming is one of the most bandwidth-heavy uses in a home, but very few homes are going to simultaneously stream 2x or 3x in 4K. Everything else is only minimal bandwidth use (including video conferencing and gaming).

I bet there's a lot of consumers overpaying for a tier that they aren't even close to hitting.

Quokka wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 9:51 am
I think it's pretty deceiving how some ISPs market which speeds are appropriate for which types of customers. In reality, even a household of 50 devices is going to be okay with 100Mbps as long as the upload speeds aren't limited to 5 or 10Mbps, and as long as everyone isn't streaming video at the exact same time.

4K video steaming is one of the most bandwidth-heavy uses in a home, but very few homes are going to simultaneously stream 2x or 3x in 4K. Everything else is only minimal bandwidth use (including video conferencing and gaming).

I bet there's a lot of consumers overpaying for a tier that they aren't even close to hitting.
I would completely agree, 4k TV is the data hungry killer. If you don't use 4K streaming 6MB per person in the house will be fine as an average. There's a good bandwidth usage tool on this site: https://www.fasterbroadband.co.uk/tools ... calculator so you can see what devices are data hungry.

Amen to all that has been said, the maximum speed you pay for doesn't really matter past 100Mbps for most households. You're better off saving that money. If your network is struggling, it's probably best to use that money to upgrade your WiFi instead of throwing that money at the ISP for higher theoretical speeds.
Head of Nook Incorporated

If anyone here is struggling with their current internet and needs help diagnosing whether it's their WiFi or the internet speed they subscribe to, MacOS has a handy way to help troublesheet. You can hold the OPTION key while you click the WiFi icon at the top right, then you can take a look at the "Tx Speed", which indicates the speed at which your laptop is connected to the WiFi.

For example, if this was <50Mbps and I'm paying for 100Mbps internet, then the reason I'm not getting 100Mbps at my laptop is because the connection between the laptop and the wireless router is too weak.
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 3.51.54 PM.png