Philips Hue vs. Wemo Switches

I'd like to bring some smart lighting into my bedroom, and I'm split on splurging on the Philips Hue bulbs, vs. simply replacing my light switch with a smart Wemo switch from Belkin.

Seems to me like:

Philips Hue
Pros:
  • * Lets me control the color and intensity of individual bulbs
    * Easier to install, no electrical work required
    * Lets me upgrade to philips hue lightstrips and other accessories in the future
Cons:
  • * Requires a philips hue hub, it looks like it requires a wired ethernet connection. Is this true?
    * Expensive to upgrade all bulbs
    * Awkward that the light switch needs to be on for the lights to be on. Am I going to regret not having full control with the light switch when I enter my room?

Belkin Wemo
Pros:
  • * Cheaper to automate my lights, since I can replace one switch to automate all the lights that it controls
    * Cheaper in the long-term, since lights can be replaced with regular bulbs when they burn out
    * I can continue using the switch by my door in addition to the app and Alexa / Google home
Cons:
  • * Need to mess with electrical work to replace the switch
    * Do these work well without a hub? Will it be too much for my WiFi network to install a lot of these around the house?
    * Can't adjust brightness of bulbs
Anything I missed, or anything extra I should be thinking about?

Re: Philips Hue vs. Wemo Switches

You're essentially exactly right. I've posted my review of the Philips Hue here.

The Hue Hub does require a wired connection to your internet router, but its range is fairly good, so no need to worry even if you need to install it a room or two away. The bulbs also create a "mesh" between them, so my understanding is that only one bulb needs to be in range of the hub.

I honestly think the Philips Hue Hub is better than competing bulbs that connect directly to your WiFi, since those can really bog down your wireless router if you're thinking of having more than a handful.

You can set how the lights should behave if they lose electricity and then get electricity (i.e, if the light switch is turned off and then turned on). They can turn on at the default color & intensity, they can turn on at a custom color & intensity, or they can turn on to their most recent setting.

To be honest, using a lightswitch to turn the lights on and off isn't too awkward. Most of the time, I'm using Google Home to turn them off rather than turn them on, so there's no issue. However, Philips sells these switches which can be programmed to turn your lights on/off to custom presets. The best part is that they don't require batteries, they work entirely on kinetic energy! I've never tried one myself, but please do reply back if you have a chance to try one.

Re: Philips Hue vs. Wemo Switches

I think the more relevant question might be comparing smart light bulb brands to eachother, or comparing WiFI-enabled switches to eachother. After you've decided to replace every switch in your home or every bulb in your home, you'd pick which specific brand you want.

I don't think it matters much which specific brand you get if you're expecting to use Google Assistant or Alexa or HomeKit to control your lights. The brands essentially work the same.

The switches have different aesthetics, so it's important to pick wisely and important not to switch between brands in the same house.
Head of Nook Incorporated