Surround sound system for small room?

I have a small room I use as a home gym of sorts and would like to install a surround sound system for listening to music when I work out. However, I don't have any knowledge about setting something like this up and would like some basic pointers, like what do I need to buy? How are most of these installed?

Re: Surround sound system for small room?

I believe that "surround sound" was historically used to describe speaker systems linked to a TV - if you were watching an action movie and an explosion occurred behind the viewer and to the right, then the rear-right speaker would carry the sound of that explosion, for a more immersive experience.

If you're simply looking to fill a room with sound, your money will go a lot further if you get a quality pair of stereo speakers rather than investing in a "surround sound" system that's designed for movies.

The speakers you choose depend on the size of the room you want to fill, the quality (clarity, bass, volume) of audio you're looking for, and to a certain extent the aesthetic of the speakers and how they fit your room.