Roomba vs. Dyson

I'm going to need to replace my old vacuum, and it looks like the top contenders are a Dyson vs. Roomba. How do you guys think about these, and is there a clear winner in the ~$300 price range?

A little bit about me:
* Don't own a car, so I don't need something that lets me vacuum in the garage or out on the street (the Roomba vacuum isn't ruled out)
* Don't have a pet, so there's no concerns about needing a vacuum that'll work well with pet hair.
* Live in a smaller apartment, it's only one floor (no stairs), with a few rooms.
* I work regular hours during the day, so I'm intrigued by the Roomba's ability to vacuum during the day when I'm at work.
* I have a mix of hardwood floors and carpet
* My biggest concern with the Roomba is that it may not vacuum deeply enough / well enough as a Dyson. I really don't want to be leaving dust behind.

What do you guys think?

Are there significant differences between the most recent vs. older generations of the Dyson and Roomba vacuums?

Re: Roomba vs. Dyson

I own an older-generation Roomba vacuum, and by far the greatest inconvenience is that necessity to "prepare" the house for vacuuming. Cords off the ground, plants with leaves on the ground moves up to a table, spots where the Roomba gets stuck taken care of (eg, it'll get stuck on the legs of two chairs in my house, so I literally turn them upside down when it's about to clean).

Even with preparatory work, there's a chance that the roomba vacuum gets stuck somewhere, and you'll need to free it and turn it back on.

Keep this in mind when considering the convenience of a roomba. You'll need to make sure your house allows for it to run every time it's about to run. For this reason, I personally didn't find the scheduling functionality very convenient.

What color is your carpet? My roomba refuses to clean a patch of black carpet.

Whenever I run my Roomba vacuum it always picks up dust, even if I had ran it the day before, and the day before that. I think you'll want to run it fairly regularly if you want to keep a baseline level of cleanliness; I think the benefit of a Roomba is the ability to run it ~2x a week, whereas a traditional vacuum would probably run once a week.

The Dyson will have many, many times more suction power, which should help with picking up all the dust off your carper, but also picking up dust where it collects in nooks and crannies, on your couches, etc.

Quokka wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 9:15 am
Whenever I run my Roomba vacuum it always picks up dust, even if I had ran it the day before, and the day before that. I think you'll want to run it fairly regularly if you want to keep a baseline level of cleanliness; I think the benefit of a Roomba is the ability to run it ~2x a week, whereas a traditional vacuum would probably run once a week.

The Dyson will have many, many times more suction power, which should help with picking up all the dust off your carper, but also picking up dust where it collects in nooks and crannies, on your couches, etc.
Not to mention that you basically need to empty the filter out after each run, it's not at all a large filter. If I could go back I think I might've chosen a traditional vacuum like a Dyson, because I think I would've spent the same amount of time vacuuming the floors, but I'd also have the added flexibility of vacuuming in tough to reach areas and knowing that I'm picking up all the dust in the first pass.

If we're comparing two vacuums at the same price, I'd recommend against the Roomba, unless someone has a large, flat, very tidy space that they want to regularly run a light vacuum over with minimal prep work.

Well the main features for an efficient vacuum is its suction power plus noise control and also its work-ability i.e the amount and type of material which we want to cleanup. Also there comes the handling feature and ease of us. The cleaning work must not be too much hectic or tired-some and also one would love the work to handle these machinery.
According to the mentioned conditions Dyson type would fit appropriately for your working style and it would be more convenient to use the same, plus the suction power is undoubtedly superb to attract evenly the small non visible dirt patches. Also the rubbing parts produce enough stir to dirt particle which later results to easily grip inside the dust collector thus making an efficiently clean surface without much efforts.
The manufacturer keeps in mind to reduce the irritating noise feature and making it ergonomically perfect design convenient for use.

I feel like most dust tends to find its way into the corners and near the walls. Undoubtedly some of it sits on the carpet in the middle of a room, but I've noticed that a lot of dust tends to collect together at the walls of a room or edges where furniture meets.

I'm wondering if it's a lot more efficient on your time if you just purchase a regular vacuum and run through all the walls and edges of your house in ~30 minutes, versus clearing your house and waiting for hours as the Roomba makes its way through your house, room by room.

0C2DEB65-9E9E-442F-AD5B-E6B700D14440.jpeg
My Roomba got stuck on this moulding today, I’ve never seen this before. I’m not sure how it got this high.

Keep this in mind, even if you fully clear your room out and prep it for the Roomba, things like this will happen from time to time.

FYI this is the Wirecutter’s pick, the iRobot Roomba 614.