Warming up before a run

I started running fairly long distances recently but I’ve actually never put a lot of thought into the appropriate way to stretch or warm up before a big run. I’ll usually do a few regular stretches – I reach for my toes and hold it for 10 seconds, I try and stretch out my legs in every type of direction for 10 seconds, and I sometimes use my hypervolt to get blood flowing in my lower legs.

I do the same after I finish a run. My calves get super sore right after a run, especially when I put the Hypervolt on them.

Are there best practices for particular stretches to do before running? Is it better to start off with a brisk walk or a slow jog, or is it OK to simply hit the ground running (pun intended)?

Re: Warming up before a run

Stretching before and after you run is super important and equally important. Not only will it prevent injury, it'll also make it much easier to run without hurting, and you won't get sore after your runs.

Try and do a variety of stretches - I stretch my calves two or three different ways, I get on my back and stretch my glutes, and I do some full-body stretches too.

If you start feeling stiff during your runs, remember that it's totally okay to take a pause and stretch. Not every run has to be a race, and you'll get a much better workout if you're properly stretching out rather than racing the clock each time.

Warming up will help you run for a longer duration. Stretching is recommended but stick to dynamic stretches only. Unlike static stretches that hinder performance, dynamic stretches warm up the muscles, prepare joints for the motions involved when running, and also improve blood circulation.

Think of it as challenging the parts you'll use when running. You'll have better mobility and coordination during your run. However, make sure you don't rush your warm up.

I believe there is a new school of thought regarding how to prepare before a workout. I'm sure we've all been told to stretch before doing any rigorous physical activity. However, static stretching might actually increase risk for injury. I think it may be beneficial to stick to dynamic stretching and warm-up before your workout and leaving the static stretching until after you have finished.

yasai_police wrote: May 25th, 2020, 7:31 pm I believe there is a new school of thought regarding how to prepare before a workout. I'm sure we've all been told to stretch before doing any rigorous physical activity. However, static stretching might actually increase risk for injury. I think it may be beneficial to stick to dynamic stretching and warm-up before your workout and leaving the static stretching until after you have finished.
Really?! I hadn't heard this, I was under the impression that static stretching was the safest and was thus 100% recommended. Every time I go for a HIIT class I always see everyone doing some stretches before class starts, trying to touch their toes and all.

Will definitely read up on this since this comes as quite a surprise to me.
Head of Nook Incorporated