Carbon dioxide buildup in bedroom overnight

I was reading Medium and I stumbled upon this post: https://medium.com/@joeljean/im-living- ... 7c391e8ab6

The author has done a lot of research on the impact of carbon dioxide on our cognitive processes. He makes the case that elevated CO2 levels may not be noticeable to us consciously, but that they result in very measurable impairments to our cognitive ability. He actually measured the carbon dioxide levels in his bedroom for two years and the results were really surprising to me. He found significantly higher concentrations of CO2 in his room when he was home vs. away, and significantly higher levels when he slept with the door closed vs. door open.

Putting this together:
1) Higher levels of carbon dioxide measurably impact cognitive performance, even in double-blind studies
2) carbon dioxide is significantly higher in your bedroom, especially if you don’t have a door or window open

Is anybody else a bit terrified by this? Or if not terrified, do you wonder how much better you may feel / how much better you might be at your job or studies if you slept without being exposed to these high CO2 levels for 8 hours every night?

Re: Carbon dioxide buildup in bedroom overnight

It's an interesting thread for sure. I've read about the impacts of higher concentrations of carbon dioxide, but on the other hand people have been sleeping in closed bedrooms for years and developed just fine.

I do think there's merit to this, and anecdotally I've felt like I get good sleep when I keep my window cracked at night. The difficult thing is that even a bit of street noise will wake me up though.

If I lived in a larger house with a central HVAC system, I figure a way to reduce overnight CO2 in the bedroom would be to schedule a fan that'd recirculate air throughout the house in the middle of the night.

Re: Carbon dioxide buildup in bedroom overnight

Cashaiz wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:29 am
You asked, "Is anybody else a bit terrified by this?" My answer is I am now. I didn't realize this problem existed. Now that you mention it, maybe I could be more productive but I feel the impact of carbon dioxide might be insignificant to me. However, it is an interesting subject but I have a question. Do house plants help eliminate this problem?
Contrary to some beliefs, houseplants do almost nothing to improve indoor air quality. Some blogs like to say that there are certain plants which do a better job at purifying your air, but those studies are based on ideal conditions in a space station. The air that naturally is exchanged between the inside and outside of your house through the small gaps in your home has an exponentially higher impact on air quality than indoor plants.

Definitely get a house plant, but don’t do it for air quality.